Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Early Nomad Painting

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been experimenting with the dip method as I work through some Essex Biblical for the King of the Two Rivers campaign.  Here are some pictures of the first stand completed for this project.




The dip method has never been a favorite of mine and I have attempted it off and on several times.  I blame my DnD background as I started out hand-priming everything in white for the colors to pop.  When I moved into 15mm Napoleonic, I started out with the white hand-primer but an old friend talked me into trying a black spray primer and dry brushing.  The dry brushing part never took but the black spray primer has been my preferred method for over 25 years now.  Problem is I hate painting all that flesh on biblicals.  This time I opted for a sand yellow camouflage car spray paint, blocked in the main colors, added some details and dipped them with a Min Wax Polly Shade pecan.  The old Min Wax Polly Shade tudor appears to be out of production.  Skin tone could probably stand to be darker but I think they turned out okay.  I have some Nubians that I have been working on and off on that I have been using a brown spray as the primer that I will post some pictures of later along with some dry steppe and desert terrain pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Nice looking minis. Look forward to seeing more. Can I ask what colour you used for skin tone?

    ReplyDelete

Due to spambots making inappropriate comments, all comments are currently moderated. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Blog Update April 2024

The focus of the blog has changed.  Field of Glory gaming in the USA is essentially dead and until a viable ancient rules comes along that h...