Saturday, June 10, 2017

Another Day in the LIbrary

December, in the year of our lord five hundred and ninety eight since his ascension to heaven, the sixteenth regnal year of the reign of Flavius Mauricius Tiberius, Emperor of all the Romans.

Today I returned to my search for the documents referring to this mysterious comes sareceni.  I believe I have found a cache of documents that are related to this story.  It seems that a certain church official in Aela had complained of incursions by the desert nomads into the villages.  Based on the notes I have found, Bishop Paul of Aela, convinced the comes of the Palaestina Tertia to lead a punitive expedition against the nomadic tribes southeast of Aela.  Based on what I have found, it seems that the comes gathered his Buccelaria and the local militia to form the basis of his troops.  Two units of Byzantine cavalry moving north to join the armies on the Euphrates border where added just before the forces set out on this adventure.  There is an obscure reference to an engagement being fought out in the borderland but at this time I have not located any sort of report.  I will keep searching... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spambots making inappropriate comments, all comments are currently moderated. My apologies for the inconvenience.

A Boy's Oath Update

 I am continuing to add to the Selected References page for the "A Boy's Oath" scenario.  I have begun going through past Slin...