Saturday, July 22, 2017

Komnenan Byzantine Camp


A few years ago, I opted to play Komnenan Byzantine for the US Field of Glory Team Tournament.  I needed a camp for the army and could not find anything that really moved me until I found a seller on eBay who was selling Armenian Churches.  Most of what he was selling would fit well within the 80mm x 120mm camp footprint for FOG so I took a chance and ordered one.  Price was around $25 plus shipping from Armenia (around another $10).  It took about two weeks for it to arrive.  Once I had it in my hands the model of the church was 3 5/8 inches long, 2 1/4 inches wide and 3 5/8 inches tall at its highest point (the cross).  It came with two very thin metal gold colored crosses to use as steeples.  Did I say they were thin?  I broke one while trying to get to straighten it out to glue it in place.  That left me short one cross so I opted to add a banner to one of the steeples.  I found a reference to the Komnenan Dynasty using a double headed eagle on a yellow field and decided why not.

It occurred to me that hey this thing is tall.  Will it fit in my travel case?  The answer was no it would not.  So I started thinking how was I to get it Austin without destroying the ultra flimsy cross and messing up the banner.

I settled on mounting the church itself on a super thin piece of plywood and creating a 120mm x 80mm base that the church would just sit down on in play.  I wanted a arid look to it to fit in my idea (at the time) of a Middle Eastern look.  Below is picture of the church on its small base.


Here is a group of pictures of the two parts of the base from different angles and put together.




The seller I purchased these from still sells on eBay and his id is armeniacorner.  He had few churches up today in fact.  I will probably try and get another one to use for my Cilician Armenians that I am working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spambots making inappropriate comments, all comments are currently moderated. My apologies for the inconvenience.

A Boy's Oath Update

 I am continuing to add to the Selected References page for the "A Boy's Oath" scenario.  I have begun going through past Slin...