Sunday, April 30, 2017

Unusual Documents in the Library

December, in the year of our lord five hundred and ninety eight since his ascension to heaven, the sixteenth regnal year of the reign of Flavius Mauricius Tiberius, Emperor of all the Romans.

Today as I continue my work of cataloguing the massive pile of documents found in the lower annex of the great library in Alexandria, I stumbled across a collection of scrolls addressed to a minor official in a town called Aela.  I am attempting to locate this place as I have yet to find it on any map.  That in itself would not have piqued my curiosity.  The first few scrolls I opened were mundane enough but in the third one I found a reference to a comes saraceni.  Tomorrow I will begin searching anew...



The above comments are the opening lines to story of a campaign that I am working on that will revolve around the Arabian peninsula in the 6th Century A.D. My focal point will be a fictitious Byzantine officer starting around 526 AD who is tasked with influencing the Pre-Islamic Bedouin and Arabian tribes.  I have almost completed the map and the campaign rules are progressing rapidly.  Next up will be to paint a suitable Early Byzantine officer to go on an Arab command stand to represent this comes saraceni.  Unfortunately, no one makes appropriate 15mm Pre-Islamic Arabs for this time period so I will be using a mixture of figures but mainly Khurasan 15mm for the Arabs with a few Forged in Battle and Essex miniatures thrown in to fill in the blanks.  My Comes Saraceni will be an Essex Late Roman officer while the remainder of the Byzantines will be Old Glory Belisarian figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to spambots making inappropriate comments, all comments are currently moderated. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Blog Update April 2024

The focus of the blog has changed.  Field of Glory gaming in the USA is essentially dead and until a viable ancient rules comes along that h...